Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Do Not Fight Alone

     Today I am going to tell you a story about some of that human compassion I was talking about. On Saturday night, I witnessed a huge amount of people, many of them that I had never even met, come together to support me. What started out as an idea from a dear friend, Lauran, snowballed into a huge event in just a matter of a week and a half. Lauran's boyfriend, Chavis, plays guitar for a local (and awesome) band called New Earth Army. I love going to their shows and have become friends with the band members through Lauran. When I was diagnosed about a month ago, something happened that I still find hard to comprehend sometimes. My friends and family cried with me on August 24th and then were ignited by some wildfire that caused them to spring into action and start making things happen.

     The benefit that was held for me on Saturday was called Rock for Hollie. It started out as a New Earth Army show and the band had graciously decided to give me whatever they made that night. That in itself was enough to bring tears to my eyes. What it turned into was enough to change me forever. From one band to FIVE bands, local artists who donated art, local businesses who donated items to be raffled, the owners of the restaurant and bar donating their location and 10 percent of all food sales for the night, local magazines, newspapers, and radio stations letting this awesome community know about the event, my friends banding together to make (and sale all night) bracelets, koozies, t-shirts, car decals, and more. Even as I write about it, I am still trying to absorb it.

     It is not about money, it is not about how much is collected, but I have to tell you because it is amazing. Since I was diagnosed a month ago, my friends and family have raised over $10,000.00!!!!!! IN ONE MONTH. I don't know about you, but to me that is a miracle. The peace of mind that I have been given about the financial aspects of dealing with this awful thing, knowing that I don't have to stress about the costs of traveling back and forth, has allowed me to dwell on more important things like getting well and spending time with my family. The doctors are telling me that stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma is considered "incurable" and the treatments we are discussing will most likely last for a year (or more). But when I see what has happened over the last month, I am filled with such hope. I do not believe that God brought me to this to let me die. I have too much left to do on this earth. And God doesn't operate on doctors terms. I am going to beat this. And the best part is, I do not fight alone! I have everyone fighting with me.

     I want to thank everyone who came out on Saturday night, the bands that played for free (New Earth Army, Doc Holidays, Western Youth, Hotel Oscar, and Summerbreeze). I want to thank the owners of the Funky Blues Shack and Grafitti's, Jay and Sherry. I want to thank the local artists who donated art to be auctioned (900 dollars was raised just from art). I want to thank all of the local businesses who donated items to be raffled. I want to thank my friends who made or had made bracelets, car decals, t-shirts, koozies (and then sold them all night! Leo, Lauran, Tara, Molly, Jodi, Aubrey, Jeannie, Jessica, Tricia, anyone else who helped with that). I want to thank 99 Rock and Woofy for doing the radio spot all week and then the band interview on Friday. Love ya Woofy! I want to thank the NWF Daily News and the Beachcomber for doing multiple articles on the event. And I want to thank this awesome community in general. I love where I live. And I want to thank my family and friends for standing behind me and cheering me on, supporting me, loving me, inspiring me, and pushing me to fight. If I forgot anyone, I am so sorry. No amount of thanks I could say will ever express how grateful I am and how inspired I am. When I am well, I plan on doing this event every year to raise Melanoma awareness and funds to help support the research for new treatments, especially for stage 4 Melanoma.

     People always say everything happens for a reason. If the only reason I was brought to this place is to grow closer to God, realize even more how precious relationships and fellowship are, and be inspired to make a change, then I am better for it already. We have a long way to go, I can only imagine what will happen next! I am not excited about cancer. But I can't help but be excited about what else it is going to teach me.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment